This a definite winter warmer that the whole family will love! Mac n’ cheese with a slight twist…
Squash and Chorizo Mac n Cheese
Serves 4 people
- 400g spiral pasta
- 350g cheese, grated
- 550ml milk
- 3tbsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 handfuls of breadcrumbs, or use stale bread a cut into chunks
- 1/2 butternut squash
- 100g chorizo
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Set your oven to 180 degrees
- Peel, and chop your butternut squash into 1cm cubes, place them on a baking tray with a drizzle of oil, and season with salt and pepper
- Roast the butternut squash for 20-25 minutes or until soft and golden; take them out the oven and place to one side
- Cut the chorizo in half lengthways, then slice 5mm thick.
- Cook the chorizo on a medium to high heat in the frying pan for a couple of minutes until the edges start to turn golden and crispy, place to one side on a plate.
- Boil water for your pasta and following the instructions for cooking the pasta, drain and place to one side
- For the cheese sauce- melt the butter in a saucepan on a medium heat
- One the butter has melted stir in the flour- turn the heat down slightly and keep staring the flour and butter for a couple of minutes to cook out the flour (not letting the mixture burn)
- Add 50ml of milk at a time, into the flour and butter mixture, making sure the milk is mixed into the flour and butter mixture until you add the next bit of milk.
- Once all the milk has been added, stir in the grated cheese until melted.
- Mix the pasta, butternut squash and chorizo together then add the cheese sauce, season with a bit more salt and pepper.
- Put into an ovenproof dish, sprinkle over the breadcrumbs with a drizzle of olive oil.
- Place in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until the breadcrumbs have gone golden.